Thursday, April 9, 2009

When You Are Engulfed In Procrastination

Hey y'all. Sorry that it has been so long. It got a little hectic toward the beginning of the month.

SKate's selection for me for the Book Club was David Sedaris' When You Are Engulfed In Flames. I was not familiar with any of his earlier work. All that I knew about him was that he was an author and his sister was Amy. I am so glad that SKate loaned me this book, because I probably never would have taken it upon myself to read it. I am a large reader of heavy textbook-esque tomes.

When You Are Engulfed In Flames is a collection of essays about Sedaris' personal and family life. Some of the essays are more exaggerated or fictionalized than others; all are witty and hilarious. The last essay in the book is dedicated to Sedaris' mission to quit smoking - the method involves moving to Japan, and it was a great joy to read. I read some of it over the phone to a friend who had lived in Japan and it made her want to pick it up.

Since I was familiar with Amy Sedaris, she of I Like You fame, it was especially fun to read the vignettes involving her: I knew what she looked like and how she spoke, so it was easy to picture the interchange.

Unfortunately for me, I am at the library computer and I am on a timer, and this is all the room that I have - I have to run home and get ready for work. But I will hopefully be back soon with the month's late Challenge.

Thank you for the book, SKate! I loved it and it made me run out and read all the library had to offer me.

No comments:

Post a Comment